Review the Deseret News article from March 30, 2015 entitled: The morality of parents playing God with their baby's DNA
Questions to guide student learning:
· (1) Would you, as a parent want to know if your child is going to be born with a genetic disease?
· (2) Do you think knowing your baby’s DNA could cause discrimination to choose a different phenotype (looking child)—i.e. choosing blue eyes and blonde hair over brown eyes and brown hair.
· (3) Over time, if PGD allows us to choose what our children look like, how will the population demographics change?
· (4) If population demographics change, would different races cease to exist? Is this discrimination?
· (5) Do you think PGD is ethical? As a politician/public policy maker, do you approve or disapprove of PGD testing? What constraints should the government enact to control PGD?