DNA-directions that make our genes and tell how to make proteins
RNA-shuttles/worker to make Proteins in ribosome
Nucleotides: building blocks of DNA and RNA. 3 parts
1. Phosphate group
2. Pentose sugar (5 carbon)
3. Nitrogenous base (contains nitrogen)
· Adenine, Guanine (Purines)
· Cytosine, Thymine (Pyrimidines)
· In RNA, it is Uracil not Thymine.
· Done via. dehydration reaction to form covalent bonds.
· Hydrogen bonds form between Adenine and Thymine; and Cytosine and Guanine.
DNA is a more stable structure as it is two copies going reverse paired from one another. RNA is simply one copy opened up through DNA replication.
· DNA backbone is basically a sugar-phosphate-sugar-phosphate alternating base.
Video game or simulation of this science: Build section of RNA (and build it and see how it does).